Saturday, July 21, 2012

A little rain brings a little hope

Mystified, or "mistfied" was I the other day while watering the garden and getting wet at the same time.

Holding the hose in my hand I was feeling moisture on my head.

Huh?

Now give me a break, as it was only 6:05 a.m and as I am prone to do in summer I had just rolled out of bed, slapped on my glasses and headed out to garden to water.

Here in the Central Valley of California where summer usually means daytime temps in the 90s and often 100 degrees plus, I try to give my veggies and fruit at least 4-5 hours to absorb precious water as none is coming from the sky.

Except that day as I finally realized Mother Nature had given us a surprise -  rain in the middle of July!

It was not a deluge or even a mild soaking - but big fat raindrops dampened my tomatoes, and from the hardened cracked dirt, where no crops grow, I could almost hear sucking sounds.

Turning off the hose I stood in the rain for the 10 minutes it fell and felt hope.

Somehow seeing a natural event occur unexpected gave me hope for the dried up economy and what it has done to my career and savings.  Help was on its way - even in small drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment