Sunday, November 11, 2012

No Cabbage? Hello Swiss Chard.

Colcannon is a peasant dish, and let's face it, although my one grandmother will flip in her grave - I come from a long line of peasant stock.

Its origins are Irish; loaded with cabbage, onions and potatoes,

While my own background is Eire-free, my Germanic and Viking forefathers and mothers also had a deep appreciation for the three veggies.

When toiling in my garden, it is easy to imagine the ancestors doing the same from Leeste to Bremervörde and in Hambergen and Wallhöfen.

Although complete mastery of their language still eludes me, I am sure we shared a similar word, probably starting with an "s", when a crop failed.

My cabbage this year was a bust. Despite the planting of numerous seedlings starting in the late spring none matured past the forming of a few leaves, before snails, cats or other critter got to them both in the ground or large pots.

What has thrived is Swiss Chard, so it takes the place of cabbage.

A glass of Jameson whiskey or even better - Tyroconnell single malt is a wonderful accompaniment for this complete veggie dinner.

  • 1 lb potatoes, unpeeled
  • 4 cups shredded Swiss Chard
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup milk or cream
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 3 oz. cheddar cheese grated
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

  1. Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.
  2. Remove the potatoes and in the same water add chopped onions.
  3. Cook onions until tender.
  4. Remove onions and cook Swiss Chard just until limp.
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  6. Mash potatoes with milk and butter.
  7. Add onion and Swiss Chard
  8. Add 3/4 cheese and transfer to a greased casserole.
  9. Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
  10. Heat in an oven until cheese on top browns slightly.
My recipe is based on the one I first used almost 30 years ago from Jane Brody's Good Food Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment