Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Looks Crazy, Acts Great

My rudimentary skills with Spanish were not necessary to comprehend what my neighbors were saying.

Seeing several banana skins clipped and hanging from my clothes line, alongside sheets and pillowcases, their expressions let me know that they thought the next door lady gardener (me) was definitely loco.

Actually, I was drying the skins to eventually grind them into a powder.

The organic powder was then sprinkled on the ground by tomato, fennel and rosemary plants to add beneficial nitrogen to the soil.  It has worked wonderfully and a delightful bonus is the attraction of colorful butterflies. This is especially nice as my garden is dedicated to growing food, and not flowers.

A friend recently sent me an article on how some people pee on their growing plants to add nitrogen.

I could just see the neighbors' faces if I used that method!

No comments:

Post a Comment